The Lottery--A Must-See Documentary

Tonight I watched the documentary, The Lottery, which follows four young children who are attempting to navigate through the confusing labyrinth of the NYC educational lottery system. The children in question were trying to get into a public charter school in Harlem called Harlem Success Academy. I found myself simultaneously enraged and sympathetic to the message of the film.

I'll start with the rage-inducing factor--the founder and mouthpiece of the academy, Eva Moskowitz is (there is no other way to say this) a horrible, grating person. While I respect her desire to educate all children at higher levels and her refusal to accept that poor economic status and background will mean academic failure, I find her deplorable for her constant vilification of teachers and unions.Do not misunderstand me; I do sympathize with her struggle and frustration with poorly performing schools. I do, however, reject her notion that failing schools are the fault of the AFL, NEA, or the teachers who work in them. Yes, radical changes need to be made, but as a supporter of public education, I believe these changes can and must be made at all public schools, not just those run independently by charter organizations like those Ms. Moskowitz runs. I was frustrated by her constant complaining and finger-pointing. If she has found something that works in her schools, why not help put those practices into place in all schools, rather than berating others who are attempting to do their best in a bad situation? Help fix the problem for all students, Ms. Moskowitz, not just those who win the lottery for a position at your school. Only then can I respect you as a true educator.

What I loved about this documentary, and what I found so profoundly affecting about watching it, was the clear message that all children can learn. And all children can learn at exceptionally high levels. I won't lie, I have at times blamed background and tough circumstances for students' struggles. But what I have come to realize--and what this video so eloquently shows us--is that when we allow those things to become excuses or "explanations" for failure, we send a message to those students that they cannot rise above their place in society. We send the message that the circumstances you are born into will determine what you are allowed/able to achieve. More than a tad disturbing, right? Of course a person's upbringing impacts their future, but how dare we allow that to determine their future? By following four children who came from tough circumstances--all are from  working-class families--we realize that all these children deserve the absolute best future society can give them. And education is the way to do that.

While it was heartbreaking to watch the actual lottery--3,000 students vying for only 20 positions--I believe it provides a powerful impetus to us all to do more for the 2,800 students who didn't make it. I shed tears as I watched the faces of those students and parents who were not accepted. We owe our children more than many are giving them. We owe our children the undying belief that every single student can learn at high levels, that every single student can and should be able to accomplish amazing things. Regardless of anything else. While I vehemently disagree with Ms. Moskowitz on many things, I agree with her about that.

Watch The Lottery. It's a moving (if infuriating) look at education not just in Harlem or New York City, but in America in general. You can watch it free at Hulu (The Lottery). It'll break your heart. But I've come to realize that--concerning many things--sometimes we need to be a little broken in order to move forward.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Facebook Sucks

Moving Mountains and Burning Bridges: The Power of Words

When Did This Happen?