While my Soapbox is Still Out...

In the district where I am employed, we recently passed a renewal levy worth three million dollars...by 59 votes. As if that slim margin wasn't disheartening enough, one (crabby) lady living in the district has petitioned to have the levy recounted at the expense of the school district. Apparently that $25 a year she'll save if the levy doesn't pass is her bingo money. And we all know how important that is.

Bitterness aside (temporarily), I am baffled by people's reluctance in this country to support public education or those who make public education their career. I am disgusted by the lack of respect teachers receive from many Americans, including those whose children are currently in public schools. I understand I am biased; education is my livelihood, of course I'd like to see people willing to pay for it (and me) in spades. But I accept that this isn't the case. I just don't quite understand why.

Recently the NEA published an article about an essay written by a Florida teacher, Jamee Miller. You can see the text of her essay here. And while I agree with Ms. Miller about the many sacrifices we teachers make, I'm not sure complaining about said sacrifices is the best way to gain the respect and support we so desperately need...and deserve.

Yes, I work long hours. Yes, I am paid less than most other professionals with equivalent education and experience. And yes, I dislike spending my own money on my classroom simply to make the room habitable for the nine months of the year I am there. But it is churlish to deny that I do enjoy my summer vacation (though summer school significantly cuts into that time) and my strong benefits package. Time and effort are important in any job, but they aren't the defining factors for success. And, as I often tell my freshmen and sophomores (particularly around test day): whining and complaining gets you nowhere.

Every September, I approach the first day of school nervous about my classes--will they be manageable? Will they get it? Will I be able to refrain from throwing things and stamping my feet when they don't do their assignments? And at the end of the first day, without fail, I'm in love with 200 news students who will constitute the next nine months of my life.

Do I complain about my job? Of course. But I love it, and what's more, I think I'm pretty good at it. So no matter how tired I am, or how icy the roads on my commute, or how disheartening their tests results were, I go each day because I know I only get nine months with these amazing teenagers. And that's just never enough time.

Teachers deserve respect not because we work hard--many people do that--but because we take care of your children. For eight hours a day, this country's children are in the hands a small group of educators. Yes, it is our job to help them learn. Yes, it is our job to keep them safe and enforce rules. But it is more than that. It is our job to let them know they are supported; to let them know they are cared for, and listened to, and important. I hand out band aids (Dora or Transformer themed, naturally), listen sympathetically to stories of heartbreak, and am often privy to information and pain even parents don't know about.

Teachers deserve respect because we care enough to teach your children. We care enough to give them a voice, to prepare them for the world, to listen to their fears, their dreams, and their complaints. Teachers deserve respect because it is truly a labor of love. No matter how much you know about a subject matter--math, English, science--the only way to be an effective teacher is to be passionate about students, to care what they think and feel; to marvel at how they grow and change. To be as proud of their accomplishments as we are of our own.

There are teachers out there who aren't as passionate about their students--I work with a few. But by and large they are the exception rather than the rule. For the most part, those teachers who joined the profession for vacation time and good benefits leave, discovering that the work involved requires too much care and emotional commitment. The vast majority of teachers are there because, despite the long hours, shrinking budgets, and disrespect, they love it. And they love their students...even the ones that don't do anything. And teachers deserve respect because we are there for your children. Everyday.

We are there because kids make us laugh, because we understand sometimes kids just need someone to listen and tell them life gets better, and because we want to be the one that makes that difference. We are there because we believe in preparing children for the future.Teachers are there because we believe in the power of knowledge and education.

We are there because we are idealists who believe we can--and will--change the world.

One student at a time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Facebook Sucks

Moving Mountains and Burning Bridges: The Power of Words

Christmas Spirit Just Vomited All Over my House